Friday, November 9, 2007

Cabbage & Kielbasa

I decided to use my new crockpot for the first time and try a new recipe as well. We had kielbasa and I found a cabbage and kielbasa recipe for the crockpot. There was a lot of anxiety from leaving my crockpot alone, but in the end it turned out fine. I halved the recipe because we were not using 2 pounds of kielbasa. However, I should have followed the recipe for the cabbage because it cooked down a lot!

Ingredients:
8 cups shredded cabbage (I used 4 cups -- use 8)
3 medium potatoes, cut into 1/2 inch cubes (We left them out because of the reviews)
1 medium onion, chopped
1 3/4 teaspoons salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 (14.5 ounce) can chicken broth
2 pounds fully cooked kielbasa or Polish sausage, cut into serving size pieces (I used only 1 pound)

Directions:

1) In a 5-qt. slow cooker, combine the cabbage, potatoes, onion, salt and pepper. Pour broth over all. Place sausage on top (slow cooker will be full, but cabbage will cook down). Cover and cook on low for 8-9 hours or until vegetables are tender and sausage is heated through.

Recipe from www.allrecipes.com

Husband Rating: A
Jared liked the combination of the kielbasa and cabbage. He definitely wanted more cabbage.

Wife Rating: B+
Although a fan of German food, I thought this dinner was too salty and mushy for me. I think 8 hours in the crockpot was too long. Maybe with more cabbage it would have been different. The picture above does not do much for the meal. I am glad I tried something different, but I won't be running to make this again soon.



No comments: